The pupil premium is a funding stream that comes from central government. It is provided for pupils that are eligible for free school meals in any given year.
At Maryland, 15% of children on average are eligible for this funding year on year. However, we know there are more pupils who are eligible within our school, but are not included in this figure as some parents have not registered for free school meals owing to the Newham Mayor’s free school meals scheme for all primary aged children. Because we know our need is much greater, we add significantly to the government funding we receive to provide additional support to those children.
Since the introduction of Pupil Premium we have used the additional funding in a range of ways, including:
- Employing dedicated Academic Assistants to provide support to a range of pupils via small group work and 1:1 sessions.
- Providing curriculum support teachers and additional teaching assistants to work with small groups and on a 1:1 basis.
- Providing all of our Saturday and holiday booster lessons free of charge.
- Support is provided mostly to boost the achievement of pupils struggling to achieve the average for their age in English and maths. We also provide support and booster work for our most able pupils to reach ambitious levels of achievement, however this is not from pupil premium funding.
- Investment in resources that help and encourage children to engage with learning.
Any spending of the pupil premium is endorsed by the school’s governing body.
Please click on the documents below for more information.